Saturday, November 6, 2010

'Tis the Season

Western holidays--really just Halloween and Christmas--are very interesting here in Japan.  They're mostly just merchandise blitzes in a culture that's crazy for character goods.  But that's okay. 

As I have mentioned before, I love autumn.  I'm not sure if one started the love for the other, but I love Halloween as well.  It's a shame there's no real trick or treating to be done here, but the imagery is sufficient for me.  And Faye loves obake or bakeke as she says (that's bah-keh-keh for the unindoctrinated).  This was essentially her first Halloween and it was a hit.


Christmas has all the Santa Claus imagery but none of the religious significance and that suits me fine.  To me, Christmas has always been a time for families to be together and that's exactly what we do.  And then there are presents of course.  Like Halloween, this will be the first Christmas that Faye will be able to appreciate.  We're all looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment