Thursday, May 6, 2010

Hopes & Dreams

Just about anyone who's done any research into finding/landing a literary agent will tell you that it's a bad idea to say that your book is the first in a series in your query--unless you've already been published, maybe. The logic is pretty sound: you have to sell one book before anyone'll even be interested in a series.

I understand and appreciate that.

But, my book is the first in a series. It doesn't need to be a selling point, but it would certainly suck if it was a deal-killer. I'm not there yet, but there are six books that will complete the story I want to tell with Jav Holson. There may be more to follow, but first things first. Six books, each book with it's own plot tied up by the end, and with elements that carry over throughout the series.

I doubt there's anyone out there (reading this, for one, but) who ever saw my first attempt at website about ten years ago. Jav's story started there. He didn't even have a proper name at that time. But the story outlined on that website will be the content of books 4 and 5. Book 1 is complete. Book 2 is undergoing edits. Book 3 is just waiting for me to have enough time to start picking at it. Books 4, 5, and 6 are basically all plotted and just need to be written. And I will write them, if only for me. I want to be able to share them with the world and even--warning: pipe dream ahead--try to earn a living from them. But I know, on some painful level, that that may not be possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment