Tuesday, October 12, 2010

An Unlikely Post

I've never been much for flowers. They make good gifts for moms, wives, and girlfriends, and I can appreciate their aesthetic value, but that's about as far as my interest goes. Before I ever came to Japan I wouldn't have been able to answer what my favorite flower was if asked--not that many people were asking, mind you.

Now, though, I can answer with conviction. I love autumn. Always have. And how nice it is to have it heralded by the blooming of 金木犀. That's kinmokusei, or fragrant olive. I'm sure these trees can be found elsewhere in the world, but I never encountered them around the Sacramento area or in or around Seattle. They don't last long but their scent is intense and they have, in a very short span of years, come to represent an integral part of fall for me.

That is as close to an ode to flowers as I will ever be capable of.

No comments:

Post a Comment